Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Pagan view of death

Here's a re-post from November 29th 2009. I wrote this after attending a funeral.

...

I'm keeping this short, because I do need to get to bed soon...

There's something that was asked several times today, throughout the course of Joe's funeral and the reception: "Why did he die?" I have to admit, I was surprised to hear that question, and it reminded me that there are many different views of death.

Those asking the question were Christian, and they believe in one all mighty all loving god. Naturally, it seems strange that an all mighty all loving god could allow someone to die when they still have so much left to do.

I, on the other hand, believe in many many deities, not all of whom are really interested in us humans. Yes, there are some who love anyone and everyone and want to help us (Jesus and Brighid, for example), but there are also tricksters who like to stir up trouble (for example, Loki). And as wonderful and amazing as Jesus and Brighid (and others like them) are, they aren't all powerful, which means that tricksters sometimes get their way.

I'm sitting here with so many thoughts going through my head. I could keep going, but I really should get to bed. It's probably a safe bet that you'll see more on this topic from me.

No comments: