Sunday, June 19, 2011

Too sick to donate blood

It has been precisely a year and a day since last I donated blood.

No, I didn't sit down at the computer to write a mystical blog post. But I looked at my blood donation page on this blog and said "Oh, the last time I donated was a year and a day ago!" So, I just had to write it that way. :)

Anyways, I'm not happy that it's been that long since I've donated. And yet, I can't help it. Although I haven't been seriously sick in the last year I keep getting mildly sick, just enough that they wouldn't want my blood. And I never seem to be well long enough to get myself over to a blood drive.

Last week I said to myself "You know what, I'm gonna change this. I'm feeling pretty well, and I am going to make an appointment to donate blood and I'm going to donate!" And so I set up an appointment for tomorrow.

That was Thursday.

Saturday afternoon I got a sore throat.

Saturday night it crossed my mind that I might throw up. Fortunately I didn't.

Sunday, today, I am coughing. And my throat is pretty much raw.

When the Red Cross called to remind me about my Monday time to donate blood I told them that I'd have to cancel.

Dangitdangitdangitdangit...

&%$#@?????????

So, what am I doing to make myself feel better? Here's what I'm telling myself will help:

* Eating ice cream. It numbs the throat temporarily! This is the one that I know really does help. :) Unfortunately I can't eat as much of it as I'd like. :(

* Eating canned green beans. I've found in the past that it helps mouth sores, so my theory is that it'll also help raw throats. It's only the canned green beans that work, though. Or anyways, that's what I've been told.

* Eucalyptus essential oil!! I've used it as aromatherapy in my bedroom, and I put some of the oil on my wrists so that I can carry the smell with me into the rest of the house. Hey, it can't hurt. May as well try it. And it smells heavenly. :)

*Watching the movie Tangled.

3 comments:

Emily Twist said...

I know how you feel. I've been sick since Thursday. Hope you get better soon.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope your treatments work and that you feel better soon, Dr. Sarita!

Sarita Rucker said...

Emily -- I hope you also get better soon!

Debra -- Thank you. :)