Sunday, July 10, 2011

Highland Games

Yesterday was the Skagit Valley Highland Games.

Ok, so I suppose I should say this weekend is the Skagit Valley Highland Games...they're still going on today, and I would have begged my mom to let us stay for the whole thing, except that I start house sitting this evening!

The Skagit Valley Games are my favorite. It's the atmosphere. Each of the Games has its own unique flavor and I just happen to like Skagit Valley the best.

Of course there are the usual piping competitions, dance competitions, heavyweight athletics competitions, food, and the vendors. (Yes, that's a lot. Too much to see at any single one of the Games!) But the Skagit Valley Games have some more fun stuff that you don't see at all of the other Games.

There's a sheepdog competition, in which sheep dogs -- mostly border collies -- herd sheep. There's the land it's on. (Just try recreating that anywhere else!) In the past there has been a particular vendor selling locally grown strawberries, but they weren't there this year... And there is also a tent where women demonstrate how to spin yarn and weave. It was in this tent that I learned to use the drop spindle two years ago, and the spinning wheel last year.

Oh, and the local animal shelter has cats and dogs up for adoption.

And I fell in love.

If it weren't for two minor details...

1) There are enough cats in this house already, and
2) I start house sitting this evening, and as such the timing is just plain wrong for adopting new pets

...I would have brought home a new furry feline friend. She was a petite one year old girl named Penny, and was just adorable. I'm sure she'll find a good home.

All in all, it was a good day. :)

ps. I also got sun burned. Note to self: next time reapply sunscreen every four hours.

pps. I also discovered how to get the attention of a kitten who had previously been ignoring me: eat a messy steak and mushroom pie, getting everything all over your hands. Lick your fingers clean, but don't use soap and water on them. Revisit the kitten, and prepare to be licked and bitten.

No comments: