Saturday, July 2, 2011

Our first pet rats

As I mentioned briefly in my last post, I bred rats once. This was years and years ago, I think I must have been a pre-teen.

I had a friend who bred rats, and I got my first rat from her: a female who I named Rosie. She was so sweet and adorable that Tall One (who at the time was Short Stuff -- small for his age at the time and already younger than me by two years two months and eleven days) soon enough just had to get his own rat.

I don't remember where Short Stuff's rat came from. Probably a pet store. It was a male who he named Beauty, and he was younger than Rosie by a few weeks.

At first when the pair were introduced Beauty only succeeded in annoying Rosie. I have a clear memory of her restraining the younger (and smaller) rat's exuberance by holding him down with a hind leg while she calmly ate. But rats age quickly, and soon enough Beauty figured out that Rosie might be more fun if he didn't annoy her.

(Actually, mom says that he figured that out while they were both perched on her shoulders, although I didn't realize that at the time.)

Even though I wanted to breed the pair and I was looking for signs of pregnancy in Rosie it wasn't until a few days before she was ready to give birth that I realized she was pregnant. When I did realize it, I was excited.

Stay tuned, I'll share the rest of the story in another post.

EDIT: Ok, I'm sharing the rest of the story in more than one other post. Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway!

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm surprised there isn't a reality show yet about breeding rats, since there seems to be one about every other activity under the sun. Perhaps you could pitch the idea to a network once you get your new rat(s).