Monday, July 25, 2011

Thunderstorm!

We don't often get thunderstorms around here, so you can imagine my surprise when I woke up at dawn to the sound of thunder.

Actually, at first I didn't realize that it was dawn, and I was trying to figure out how the lightning could make the sky just a little bit brighter at a time. Obviously I wasn't completely awake.

The storm must have passed directly over my house because the second thunderclap I head was so close that it made a car alarm across the street go off. I'm pretty sure that I have never seen that happen before!

This was an unusually big thunderstorm for this part of the country, which means that there were about seven-ish lightning strikes that I noticed. Yes, I know some of my readers will be laughing at me saying that seven strikes is a big storm, but around here it is. lol It also traveled pretty quickly. I'm not sure how much time there was between each strike, anyways it wasn't too long, but each time I saw the sky light up I started counting and discovered that each strike was about five miles further away.

I went back to sleep quickly enough and when my alarm went off four hours later (dawn was at 5am and my alarm was set at 9am) I learned about the effects of "early morning thunder boomers" -- I had such a bad headache that I absolutely refused to get out of bed. It turns out that thunderstorms at dawn can do that to a person. And the fact that I was reading without my glasses last night probably didn't help.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I would blame Thor.

Sarita Rucker said...

So I guess I should complain to Thor about my headache. Not that he'd probably listen. lol