Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquakes

Since people are talking about earthquakes...

I've been in two earthquakes. The first one was in 1993, and I only remember it vaguely. I was only four years old at the time. It makes a really good story (mom, I know you're reading this -- don't give anything away in the comments! I plan to share the story later) but I'm going to tell about the other one right now. It's also so a good story, though the other one is even better.

I'm not sure exactly which quake it was. I just looked online to find earthquake info about the place where I was living at the time, and this particular earthquake took place in either 2002, 2003, or 2004 -- maybe I was in three earthquakes during my teens, and only noticed one? -- so I was somewhere between 13 and 15 years old at the time.

I was doing dishes and the first thing I noticed was that the dishes in the sink started moving around, and the water was vibrating. I seem to recall my first thought being that Tall One was doing something to shake the house. Yeah, I tried blaming an earthquake on my brother. I guess I realized it wasn't Tall One when the shaking didn't stop.

I don't remember how I responded. I should have dived under the kitchen table, and I probably did. When I was in daycare/preschool we had earthquake drills and that's what we were taught. Then again, it may have taken me so long to figure out that it was an earthquake that it ended before I could get to the table. As I said I don't remember.

That earthquake was big news locally, although the only damage done was to old buildings and houses and there were no serious injuries. I remember watching the news about it in my parent's bedroom. Also, my mom's cat, Pi-Pi, came to me for comfort.

Gosh, I could probably write a whole post just about Pi-Pi...

Let's just say that Pi-Pi and I had had a rather interesting relationship ever since I nearly strangled him as a toddler. (However, he didn't savage me at the time because he knew I was mom's daughter. That was some cat!) It wasn't Pi-Pi's first earthquake but he was definitely not a happy kitty, and he decided to come to me since mom wasn't available. I remember being honored that he chose me.

And as for the dishes...

I was rather nervous when I finished the dishes later in the day. That chore wouldn't trigger another earthquake, would it?

3 comments:

Madam Lost said...

You never can tell. Guess I'll keep the area safe and never do the dishes again.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Are you SURE your brother didn't have a hand in it?

Sarita Rucker said...

Mom -- Actually I've done the dishes plenty of times since then and it hasn't caused another earthquake. So I think we're safe.

Debra -- Now that you mention it he might have...especially considering how the other earthquake ended. Which you'll hear about soon.