Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm begging for advice/help

It turns out I'm allergic to rats.

This is something I discovered years ago when I had rats, but after I lost my last rats I managed to convince myself that it must have been the litter I was allergic to, or something else.

But no, it's definitely the rats.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I've got an air filter in my bedroom, which should help. Some. A little. I hope.

No, it WILL help.

And then I could also take allergy meds, but those probably aren't an actual long term solution. Why? Because it doesn't take too long for me to become resistant to them and for them to stop working. When I do use them I have to keep switching between Allegra and Claritin (one stops working so I go to the other, the other stops working so I go back to the one, and so on and so forth). By the end of the last allergy season they weren't even doing much good.

Of course, I could find another allergy medicine to use...but that might not change the meds being only a temporary solution. It might be a solution that lasts longer, but still...

Anyways, I'm rather frustrated and upset at this point. I don't want to lose Beka and Sabine. But I also refuse to live with these allergies. I did that for years when I had rats when I was younger, and I'm not gonna do it again.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for coping with allergies? Any words of wisdom? Please? I'm begging.

5 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

No words of wisdom here; sorry. I think the best solution is to let the girls be adopted by someone who can take care of them without getting sick before the three of you get too attached ;-(

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no! I don't have any good tips about allergy control, I'm afraid. Would it help if the rats lived in another room rather than your bedroom? But then you'd still have allergy flare-ups every time you played with them. I'm afraid Magaly's solution may be the best long-term one.

Sarita Rucker said...

Yes, if it becomes obvious that I can't do something about the allergies I'll give them up sooner rather than later. But on the upside a friend shared this link with me on FB: http://www.ratfanclub.org/allergy.html. It has some info that might help! :) And I think it should be obvious pretty quickly if what I'm doing for allergy control isn't working.

Kayla said...

:( what a miserable situation. I'm sure that I'm mildly allergic to my babies, but no more than I'm allergic to the outside, so its six of one, half a dozen of the other for me.

From the rats, I'd (and this isn't cheap) start with going hypoallergenic on the bedding (Carefresh only), changed frequently (no less than weekly), and FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY NO TIMOTHY OR ALFALFA. That stuff rips me up. Also, try bathing them?

For you, maybe alternating meds? I've had luck with singular since my worst allergies are respiratory. On bad months, I do singulair daily with claritin and sudafed as backups.

I'm currently on an experiment... I've gone back to working at the Large Pet Retail Chain, and it was while I worked there a few years ago that I had my worst allergy chronicles. So, we will see if my lungs and sanity survive the fall.

Sarita Rucker said...

I'm using...I forget what the bedding is called now...but it's a paper bedding that has no dust in it, which Carefresh does.

As for the rest, I'm already doing/will do them. :)

Good luck with your experiment!