Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kokopelle and the new babies

I guess I've had my kitty Kokopelle for about five years now. During that time he's been the only pet I've had. Yes, there are two other cats in the household, both of whom I love, but Kokopelle is my special one, and he knows it.

But now he has to share me with two rats. Oh, and I'm locking him out of my bedroom for a day or so, while they settle in.

(I did actually allow Kokopelle in yesterday -- but I found Beka and Sabine cowering terrified in a corner of their cage soon enough. I don't know that any of the cats were to blame, but I'm guessing they were. The girls will have to gets used to the cats eventually, though, and they'll learn that they're safe from hungry kitties in their cage.)

As happy as I am with my new girls, and as delightful as they are, I'm also a little worried about Kokopelle. He's had me to himself since he was a kitten, and we formed a very close bond. Me bringing new pets into the picture -- pets who, rather than belonging to other family members are supposed to bond to me -- I guess you might compare it to an only child suddenly finding a new baby in the house who demands a lot of attention.

Ever since I brought Beka and Sabine home I've been doing a balancing act of spending time with them while also letting Kokopelle know that I'm not abandoning him, and that I love him just as much as ever.

7 comments:

Madam Lost said...

And sleeping on the futon in the living room so Koko can still sleep with you.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Poor Koko, it is so hard to share mommy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're very wise to soothe and protect poor Kokopelle's feelings. Give her lots of petting.

Sarita Rucker said...

Mom -- Yes, I'm sleeping on the futon while he's locked out of my room. I spoil that cat. (And that also means that I don't sleep in the room with the rats that I now realize I'm allergic to...now I need to find a cure to that allergy...)

Magaly and Debra -- Getting used to sharing me is a little hard, but I'm definitely giving him lots of petting! He'll be all right. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Just stopping by to see how you and the ladies are doing. Hope all is well.

Madam Lost said...

All has returned to normal. Now that Sarita is back in her own bedroom with the door open so Koko can sleep with his mommy, Koko has resumed his habit of curling up with Sarita's mommy in the early morning hours.

Sarita Rucker said...

Magaly -- things are going pretty well. :)

Mom -- he has? I didn't know that. And Kokopelle could sleep with me anyways since I was on the futon.