Saturday, August 13, 2011

Of Garlic Festivals and Clueless Cats

I went to a garlic festival today. I didn't spend much time exploring, but I did find two things that made going totally worth it:

1) I got a free sample of garlic chips. Yummy!

2) I got a clove of elephant garlic. And I'm growing it. :)

In case you didn't know (I didn't until today), elephant garlic is named for its size. The following photo is of the clove I brought home.

A clove of elephant garlic.

Yes, that thing is nearly as big as a potato!

Now, on to the clueless cat.

It seems that Saphira only noticed that we have rats in the house today. Or anyways, she only realized today that they look yummy. Tall One had to stop her from jumping on top of the cage, and we're still not sure that she won't get on top of it when we aren't around.

The thing with having pet rodents in this house is that they just have to get used to the fact that cats are gonna be drooling over them. And I think that Beka and Sabine know they're safe inside their cage. Anyways, they don't panic when the cats examine them closely.

This being the case, and since I had a camera in my hands anyways (to photograph the garlic) I decided to use Saphira's enthusiasm as a photo op. It's photographic evidence of Saphira's cluelessness. I mean, come on, I've had them for like two weeks. And she's only now noticed that they look like food?

Somehow I like this, despite her being transparent.

I was a little concerned at this point, but not nearly as concerned as I was when it looked like Saphira was trying to jump from the kitchen table onto the cage. Fortunately, the rats didn't seem to mind her getting this close. Whew.

By this point I finally figured out that I should put my camera on the "kids and pets" setting, so the quality is better.
Fortunately the rats weren't traumatized by this experience. In fact, they seemed perfectly fine!

Whew.

ps. I finally figured out how to add captions to my photos. :)

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never seen such large garlic. Yowza!

Magaly Guerrero said...

That is a ginormous garlic; I wonder if its taste correlate with its size...

Poor rats and poor kitty, can you imagine? Right now the ratties are looking at a monster who wants to gobble them up and the kitty is probably wondering why they are so scared "Don't they know they are for eating?"

Very traumatic... but they will learn, eventually.

Madam Lost said...

Personally, I think the biggest concern from teh cats is for our sanity. Why are we feeding the food?

As to our real fear with darling Saphira, we missed an opportunity when we didn't name her Grace. Saphira is as fearless as the day is long [at least up here during the summer], but she grossly overestimates her abilities.

Rue said...

Oh I love garlic! That's the perfect sized clove for - lol!

Sarita Rucker said...

Debra -- I know!

Magaly -- Actually it's a milder taste than the smaller garlics. And I read somewhere that it isn't even a true garlic at all, but a sort of leek. It's still called garlic, though, and tastes like garlic.

I think that seeing the cats was traumatic on the rats at first, but they seem to have become used to it. Still, I don't think they're used to seeing a cat just inches from their cage!

Mom -- Saphira is generally pretty graceful these days. But yeah, she does sometimes overestimate her abilities, and she definitely did a lot of that when she was little.

Rue -- Perfect size for what?