Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I should be getting to bed, it's past midnight. But I'm thinking about 9/11 and I need to write. And anyways, I've had insomnia the last two nights, so I'm not sure that I'd sleep if I went to bed right now anyways.

When 9/11 happened I couldn't find my diary. This was something that was frustrating, because I needed to write. I needed it.

I eventually wound making a sort of makeshift diary. When talking about 9/11 I mostly just reported what I heard on the news, but I did also write down some of my feelings. I'll share excerpts from it here -- bad spelling, super short paragraphs, and all. Well, all except for Tall One's real name.

It seems like so long ago...but it was only ten years ago. I was 12 years old at the time, and Tall One was 10. My dad's health had just forced him into retirement, and my mom was scrambling to find a job. I was working my way through Victor Hugo's Les Miserable, although I was skipping over the "boring" parts.

Ok, enough random memories. I'll share the excerpts, with occasional commentary.

9/11/2001

This feels like a turning point in my life.

Its strang becuse this isent upsetting me... [I'd like to mention that I was too numb to feel anything initially -- I think that writing helped me process things though.]

Is this all just a dream?

The TV showed the brother of the first Pilot whos plan crashed into the World Trade Center.

He said he kept looking at the corn feild behind him hopeing his brother would come out of it.

There is one thing that the people of America can do to help: Give blood to the Blood Banks.

But it turns out that my Mom can't because of menopoze, and Dad can't because of Bacol effects.

And Tall One and I can't because we're not adults.

9/13/2001

I hafe to do the dishes so I'm keeping this short.

A Fireman hase been found burried under World Trade Center #1 -- Alive!

9/15/2001

I can't remember what the news is I saw on the TV today.

9/25/2001

We know who it is who attaked us even though he won't admit it was him -- I can't remember his name.

He has dissapeared from where he lives and they say they don't know where he is.

He lives in Afghasistan.

They think the fighting will start in a few days.

10/13/2001

A few days ago President Bush did something Mom thinks no President hase done befor; He spoke to the children of America.

He wants us to donate one Dollor to a cirtin address witch will help children in or near Afghasistan.

Today I bought a pin that hase the USA Flag on it and says "Rember 9-11-01" on it.

The two dollors I used to buy it will go to the American Red Cross.

10/16/2001

The terrorists are useing Anthrax angist us.

[I'd like to note that a few months earlier I had read Rex Stout's Some Buried Caesar and the result was a serious terror of anthrax -- my parents eventually got me to calm down by telling me that people don't get anthrax. And then THIS happened. Yeah, it was pretty scary for me, though I didn't write about it.]

I know it was mailed to one news stasion maybe more.

A 19 month old baby got it on his skin but he'll live.

Another place I don't know the name of also got it mailed to them.

They may also use the black plague but we have a cure for that.

Oh yea, and they may also use small pox I think it's called.

2 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

The memory of this day is written on my heart. I wish it wasn't...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It was an unsettling and terrifying time, that's for sure.