Friday, September 2, 2011

Booksies!!!

I won a $25 Powell's gift card for participating in the summer reading program at my local library.

So I was wondering...should I spend it now? Or should I use it to buy textbooks? After all, as an English major I do study novels that I can buy at a local bookstore.

I decided to spend it now. lol Or more precisely, yesterday.

I was careful with what I bought, and decided not to buy anything unless 1) I know the author, or 2) I've read the book.

The books I bought:

Abhorsen by Garth Nix -- I love love love this trilogy. Tall One (who was with me at the time) was shocked to learn that I only have the audiobook of Sabriel, the first in the trilogy. Abhorsen is the final in the Aborsen trilogy.

Malafrenda by Ursula K. Le Guin -- Haven't read it, but I know and love the author.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen -- There were quite a few of these on the shelf, actually! I got to pick and choose which one to get. It's one I've read and loved before, and it's on my official to read list for 2011. (This was actually the last book I grabbed and by this point Tall One had spent enough time in the bookstore and had left to go geocaching. I was definitely annoying him in the time I was taking to look for the best deals on the best books.)

Mort by Terry Pratchett -- I've read one Discworld book, and I want to read more. This book wasn't actually the best deal I found, but it was still a fairly good deal. Tall One was disappointed in my choice because he's already read it and he wanted me to buy one he hadn't read so that he could steal it from me.

Edges by Ursula K. Le Guin -- Haven't read it, but it looks great.

I got all this for under $25. And best of all? I was using a gift card that I won by reading other books!!!

And what is that Book Magic thingy? Well...

Please don't yell at me for marking up The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. It's the only novel I've marked up, I swear, and it is for a good reason.

This should be handy for studying, both school stuff and whatever I feel like studying. :)

Last, and on a totally unrelated note, I'd like to share one photo that I took while geocaching that day (and no, we didn't find anything) that I like so much that I just have to share it.

At Multnomah County Library, downtown.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You got a lot of bang for your 25 bucks. Congrats!

Sarita Rucker said...

I know. I am very happy with what I got. :)

Emily Twist said...

There's no reason to be ashamed for marking up books. I do it all the time. I typically let the book tell me whether or not I should write in it. I find it can be a rewarding way to interact with the book. It can also be a unique way to interact with other people. I often buy used books, and I love commenting on the previous owners comments.

Sarita Rucker said...

For years I've been 100% against marking up books, so I still feel guilty about marking up this one novel.