Saturday, September 24, 2011

Facebook...

FB is getting on my nerves.

It's annoying enough that they change things around and force me to get used to a new layout every so often. But their latest changes...

What's up with the thingy at the top right of the homepage which shows the latest things all your friends have done on FB? I don't really see the point. I don't know of any good it's doing, and it has done some harm: the same day that it came out Mrs. B. announced on FB that it had already forced one Pagan that she knew of out of the broom closet.

Admittedly, I don't think it's the best idea in the world to lead a double life on FB (example: chatting with fellow Pagans while remaining in the closet to your non-Pagan friends...all in the same FB profile) but for FB to introduce the new top right thingy that shows what you do to everyone... Why?

While I'm at it, why does FB get to decide which stories I'll be most interested in, and mark them out for special attention?

If you know who created this please let me know so I can credit them. I looked through Google and although I could find plenty of people sharing it I couldn't figure out who started it.

4 comments:

Dark Mother said...

I deleted my Facebook account last night. Not because I have anything to hide, but because it began feeling a bit too big brother for me. I felt like it was no one's business what I said to one friend who wasn't friends with another. I'm seeing so many people dropping their accounts as well. To be honest, I think Facebook has negatively affected the way humans are communicating with each other. So many people have their face in a screen instead of sitting across from and paying specific attention to a real live human being and I think Facebook has contributed to that the most.

Perhaps more people will decide to drop it and get back to the old school ways of communicating. But what do I know. I'm a gen x'er...it was the gen y'ers to did this ; )

Sarita Rucker said...

I always forget what generation is called what...

I might consider dropping FB except that it's how I keep track of people who I don't see anymore. And while Google+ seems promising not so many people are using it.

Magaly Guerrero said...

It is becoming a bit of a business, isn't it? I guess I don't mind it much because I just kind of tune out what I don't want to read. But there are people who share such personal details on facebook, I wonder if they are paying attention to what they are doing.

Sarita Rucker said...

Some people do pay attention, others don't think about it.