Saturday, September 24, 2011

Lady Chatterley's Lover

In celebration of Banned Books Week I want to tell a story on my mom. Which she may suspect I'm going to tell, but which I haven't exactly told her I'm going to share.

When she was in high school some of her classmates got ahold of an amazing book: Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence. It was infamous for containing explicit sex, and there were several pages in particular that all of mom's classmates were interested in reading.

Mom took the book home with her...and grandma caught her with it. Grandma objected to the fact that my mom was reading it, but guess what?

My mom managed to convince her mom that she was reading it for school.

Grandma still didn't like it, but she stopped arguing. She even read it herself so that she could talk about it with my mom! Wasn't that thoughtful of her?

Of course, grandma never thought to ask the school if it was true that the book was required reading. And unlike grandma, my mom didn't bother to read the whole thing.

...

I haven't read this book, but I'm very familiar with the title because of the above story. The book was banned temporarily in the USA and in the United Kingdom because it violated obscenity laws. It has also been banned in various other countries.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments, http://ftrf.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics/reasonsbanned/index.cfm

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Cute story! Yes, LCL caused a scandal when it was first published but it's pretty tame by today's standards -- guess it was at the top of the slippery slope.

Sarita Rucker said...

Yep, I suppose it was.