Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The things kids say

School is starting back, and the local elementary schools are doing their Back to School nights.

It turns out that this is a great opportunity to volunteer for my library, as I found out when I got an e-mail from the volunteer coordinator asking for volunteers to tend a library booth at these events. I offered to help, and dragged Tall One along for the ride.

It's been a long time since I was in elementary school. It's been a long time since I was in public school, since I started homeschooling in third grade. So I didn't know how things would go! I somehow envisioned that people would be milling around a lot with their kids in tow. But no, people mostly spent time in meetings, with frantic rushes and mild milling in between. Most surprising was that there weren't many kids. I guess that Back to School night is more for the parents than the kids.

There were some children present, though, and there was one particular girl who gave us quite a laugh when her family was leaving at the end of the shindig.

Our booth was next to a Cub Scout booth, and this little girl excitedly ran up to the Cub Scout table and said "I want to be part of this!" But her parents said "No, this is for boys."

She looked disappointed. Briefly. Her disappointment disappeared when she saw Tall One and me, and she jumped over to our booth saying "I want to be part of you! What are you?" Her enthusiasm was wonderful.

If only it had lasted.

You see, when we told her we were part of the library she sort of drooped and said "Oh, never mind."

I'm not sure what was funnier -- her reaction, or her parents' somewhat mortified expressions. Tall One and I waited (well, sort of) until she and her family were out of earshot before we started laughing.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You should have told her you were the Nerdfighter Booth!

Sarita Rucker said...

Hey, I should have! :)