Friday, September 16, 2011

Update on ratties

Good news and bad news.

Bad news first.

Sabine appeared to have seizures last night. Thoughts, prayers, and good vibes would be appreciated. I've got a noon vet appointment for her, so hopefully we'll figure out what's going on.

I talked to my mom about it this morning. When I was little we had a dog with epilepsy, and it was not pretty. Not that I remember the epilepsy. I just remember that Sam, the dog, was a little weird. Among other things, mom was told me that it might not be a good idea to put Sabine on so many meds to combat the seizures that she would be too drugged to be herself, and I said "Mom, you're talking to someone who has experienced first hand the side effects of some ADHD meds. I know better than to do that to her." *sigh* We'll see how things go...

Now I just need to figure out the best way to transport them (yes, both of them, I figure taking Beka along will help keep Sabine calm and hopefully happy) to the vet. I'm figuring I'll use a small cardboard box, but I'm still trying to come up with better ideas.

Good news now.

My rat allergies seem to be gone! I think my body just had to adjust to having rats around. I'm no longer using meds to combat the allergy, and I'm still feeling fine. I'm not about to move the rat cage back into my bedroom, though. Having the rat cage in my sleeping space might trigger allergies again. But at least I'm off the Allegra (ok, truthfully, I actually took one this morning for allergies that I highly doubt were rat induced...) and handling them no longer makes me feel bad.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Get better soon, Sabine!

Sarita Rucker said...

She already seems better. Now she just needs to *stay* better.

Agh, I'm tired and just want to curl up with a book, comfort food, and my ratties...