Friday, September 16, 2011

Update on Sabine

This whole day seems to have been revolving around Sabine.

As mentioned in my last post Sabine had some mild seizures last night. Most of what I have done today is:

1) Look up info online about rat seizures
2) Talk to my mom about the dog we used to have who had epilepsy
3) Just spending time with Sabine to see how she's doing -- the good news is that she looks perfectly healthy and normal today
4) Going to the vet
5) Talking to other rat lovers on a Yahoo group about what's going on, getting their input -- one person isn't convinced it's a seizure, although everyone else thinks it is
6) E-mailing the breeder since this is the kind of thing she would want to know about

And...

7) Job hunting

I was so focused on Sabine that when mom and I went to Starbucks (their seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte is now available!!!) that I didn't realize until we were about a block away from home that I was wearing my house slippers. And when I did get the awesome Pumpkin Spice Latte I didn't spare enough attention to enjoy it properly.

The visit to the vet was scheduled for noon and I got my mom to agree to take me. I didn't really want to take the girls on the bus, although I could have if I needed to. Fortunately mom was more than happy to give me a ride -- I don't know that she was more worried than me, but unlike me she remembers dealing with an epileptic dog when I was young, and thinking about Sabine having seizures was making her sick at her tummy.

I need to get a small wire cage for future vet visits. For this visit I used a small cardboard box with air holes, with a small towel in the bottom of it. My idea was to take both of the rats so that Beka could keep Sabine company. Beka is the more outgoing of the two, and I figured that she might help Sabine feel more comfortable in an unfamiliar place.

That didn't work out as planned.

Sabine went into the small box with no fuss. But Beka... I have never seen a rat that panicky. You would have thought that I was trying to put her in a cat carrier already occupied by several hungry and bad tempered felines. I figured that a panicked Beka would be no help to Sabine so I let her stay home.

The vet looked Sabine over and said that she looks perfectly healthy. Her heart sounds fine, her breathing is great, she's a good weight (though a tad pudgy, which I'll have to do something about), and her eyes look fine. He thinks this is a congenital condition, possibly hereditary. He also says that seizures in rats are very unusual, especially in rats as young as Sabine. She's only about three months old.

Figures I would get a rat who has a rare condition. I cannot tell you how often it is that I get told that something that has happened to or around me is unusual. "The fact that your speech disorder sounds like an accent is unusual." "Starting speech therapy at such a young age is unusual." "Getting TMD symptoms like this at such a young age is unusual." "It is unusual for rats to have seizures, and even more unusual for them to have seizures at this age."

Unusual should be my middle name.

Anyways, enough with the minor ranting...

At this point we're going to just watch Sabine and see if this is a one time deal or if there are more seizures. If they're rare and stay mild then we aren't going to worry. If they happen frequently and/or get worse then we'll talk about meds for Sabine.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Let's hope it was just a one-time thing and that she'll be fine from now on. Had to laugh about your slippers!