Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A good Halloween read...

Well I posted this on my book blog yesterday, and I'm going to share it here as well!

...

October 31st is coming up, and for some reason I was suddenly reminded of a certain book that would be a good read for anyone who is looking for a good (and more funny than scary) ghost story. And guess what! It's a book I've reviewed in the past. Without further ado, here's my review:



"It's me again, Hank the Cowdog."

So begins the ninth installment of John R. Erickson's Hank the Cowdog series. And I'd like to note right at the beginning of this review that the series does not have to be read in order -- any and every book in this series is a good stand alone story.

Hank the Cowdog is Head of Ranch Security in ranch in Texas. As the Head of Ranch Security he ensures the safety of the ranch and deals with any trespassers, whether they be human, animal, or ghost. Except, he doesn't believe in ghosts. Or does he?

In this book you will meet Drover, Hank's loyal if somewhat cowardly side kick, who does seem to have slightly more sense than Hank. You'll also meet a ranch hand named Slim Chance, a couple of lost buzzards, five trick or treaters, and a ghost who doesn't care that Hank doesn't believe in it.

All these characters, added to the fact that Hank can never keep his nose out of trouble (and is always wondering why he keeps getting in trouble) makes for a great read. I would like to recommend, however, that you either read it aloud or get the audio book version of it. It seems to me that this particular book is just better when it's no longer just words on a page.

Happy reading! :)

7 comments:

Sunshineshelle said...

OK FIRST... CATS AND RATS????? So cute! Next Hank the Cowdog?? I sense an animal attraction, so cute & I very much relate to that :)

cmoh said...

Oh this sounds like something I need to read to my daughter! Great review, thanks for introducing me to a new book.

Toriz said...

"And a ghost that doesn't care that Hank doesn't believe in it."

LOL! Love that! :)

Also... YAY for being available as an audiobook! It's great to find out something is actually available in an accessable version (and that said version is probably the best way to "read" it anyway!) :)

Sarita Rucker said...

Sunshineshelle -- Yes, I very definitely love animals. :)

cmoh -- I'd say it's a great book to read with kids. And there are lots of other books in the series!

Toriz -- I think these are the only books I've read/listened to which are better as audio books. Others are great either way, but these are DEFINITELY better when read by the author. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Yay! The Little Princess will LOVE this one (and me of course, but don't tell anyone that I read more kid's books than my little girl does).

Perfect, Sarita!

Sarita Rucker said...

Don't worry, you're secret is safe with me. ;)

Madam Lost said...

Audio version is really best on this -- if for no other reason than the chorus singing.