Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Of sleep (or lack thereof) and dreams

Just something I wanted to get down in writing...

Both of the times that I decided to take control of my dreams I was thinking to myself "Well, all that I'm seeing is created in my mind, so once I take control I'll also have to consciously start creating for myself, right?" Ok, so I know I was thinking that one time, and that's when I abruptly woke up. The other time I think I was thinking that, and I can't remember what happened next in the dream, but I don't think I woke up immediately.

(By the way, no success in lucid dreaming last night.)

Maybe the solution is to:

1) Order my subconscious to keep creating an awesome environment for me to dream in, and ONLY
2) Taking control of my own actions, not the environment.

Maybe I should look info up online on the topic. But at the moment I'm reading about the consciousness, sleep, and dreams (!!!) in my psych textbook, which is pretty darn awesome.

I started giggling insanely when I got to the section about sleep disorders. Why? Because I had one of my seemingly random cases of insomnia last night. And then I came up with a brilliant idea: maybe I should keep track of my cases of insomnia and see if there's a pattern? I know they aren't always linked to my worrying about something, but might they be hormonally induced? So I'm also keeping track of when they occur in relation to my menstrual cycle.

2 comments:

Toriz said...

Interesting...

When you get the hang of the lucid dreaming, I'd appreciate some tips, because it's something I'd love to try.

Also, it could be linked to your menstral cycle; I have more sleep issues when it's that time of the month. My sleep isn't great anyway (lack of light perception makes messing up my sleep routine very easy, and messing up my sleep routine makes for several bad nights while I fix it again), but at that time of the month my sleep is usually worse. Part of it, I think, is that my temperature goes up a lot, and I can't get comfortable when I have a combination of being too hot and having stomach cramps. And I know that has to be linked to that time and the hormones somehow. I've found that worrying doesn't help much either; I slept really badly in the last couple of weeks leading up to our move... Badly even for me, I mean!

Sarita Rucker said...

I suspected it is linked to my menstrual cycle. The insomnia hit two days after my face broke out, and I know the acne is hormone induced.

I'll just want to keep track of it for a few months and see if I can spot any other patterns. :)