Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Of tree climbing and school

Hullo everyone! Have you missed me? I haven't been posting much lately, other than over at my book blog. And even there not very much. But you can click here (or follow this link: http://saritaslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/10/funny-text-book.html) if you'd like to read about a fun(ny) textbook of mine.

The first week of fall term has come and gone. I'm taking two classes this term. One online, and one on campus. This means that I'm really only on campus one day a week.

Last week I arrived early for my on campus class. I bought my text books (about $180 for two books!!!) and then headed over to my favorite climbing tree.

To tell the truth, it barely even qualifies as a climbing tree. Yeah, I have to grab the branches to pull myself up, and I have to make sure that I put my feet in the right place. But this tree seems like it was designed for someone to hang out in its branches, and there are a few "steps" that seem like just very steep stairs. And once I get myself up into it there's a way of sitting that makes it impossible to fall out.

So there I was, sitting in the tree, just doing whatever...communing with nature, daydreaming, and reading Pride and Prejudice...when the grounds keepers drove by in their little golf cart type things. I didn't think anything of it, until one of drove his cart back over to me, right under the tree, and said very abruptly "Please get down from there."

He went on, "I don't want you falling and getting hurt, and then I'll have to do a bunch of paperwork."

I wasn't pleased, but I did get out of the tree. Since then I've considered trying to find out if there is actually any rule against climbing trees on campus. Because that is such a perfect climbing tree.

Fortunately my day improved after getting run out of my tree. I found out that The Belly Dancer (I visited her last spring break) will be visiting Portland for a few days next month. Hopefully we can get together then. :D

I also discovered that an old classmate of mine is in my on campus class. He seemed delighted to see me, and he expressed his delight by giving me a hard time. Then he promised to bake me brownies to make up for giving me a hard time. And he did bring me brownies this week. And they are yummy.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you just have to play the odds with the tree. How many times have you sat there without being evicted? Lots, I'm sure. You've been given the bum's rush once. So you should probably be able to get in a few more sits before the grounds keeper happens to come by again.

Power to the people!

Sarita Rucker said...

Actually I haven't sit in it in ages. And I do have a tendency to try to strictly follow the rules. Maybe it's to make up for not being the most well behaved child.

Toriz said...

Yeah, I'd have just stayed in the tree, kept reading, and pretended not to hear him. But then I'm stubbourn like that. ;)

I notice he was more concerned about paperwork than anything... *Sigh*

Sarita Rucker said...

I like to think that he only mentioned the paperwork as an afterthought. But yes, he did seem a little concerned about the extra work it might cause him.