Sunday, October 9, 2011

Project Lucid Dreaming

A few weeks ago I decided that I want to learn lucid dreaming.

What is lucid dreaming? It's when a person becomes aware that they are dreaming. From that point they are able to take control of their dreams.

After this decision Google quickly took me to a web page FAQ about lucid dreaming (http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html) that gave me all kinds of info on the topic. What did I decide to do with all that info? Before going to sleep I chant silently to myself "I will become aware that I am dreaming. I will become aware that I am dreaming. I will..." etc. etc. etc. Notice that I don't mention anything about taking control of the dream, though. After a few nights I decided to just take it one step at a time.

Guess what? I have been making some progress in Project Lucid Dreaming.

Last night I dreamed about my last home. It's a place I often dream about, at first because I was so attached to it and had trouble letting go, and now (I think) because it's just habit. However, the house does get changed in strange ways in my dreams.

For example, we never had a swing set in the part of the yard where I was swinging. In reality there were no power lines following the property line between us and our neighbor. And last but not least, in my dream last night my bedroom was the master bedroom, which was definitely not the case in reality.

But I did become aware that I was dreaming. I knew that those power lines weren't supposed to be there, and I even remembered dreaming that they were there before. (Which I have.) While I was at the high point of my swinging I looked in through my bedroom window, trying to get glimpses of things that I used to have but gave to charity, such as a giant green frog named Skipper. I examined a quilt hanging on the wall, and compared what it looked like in the dream to how it looks in reality. And when I decided to enter my home through the basement door I wondered if the dream would dissolve.

I don't remember what happened in the dream after entering my home, so I guess the dream did dissolve. Actually, I don't even remember getting to the door to go in.

Still, it is lucid dreaming, and it is progress. I was even taking charge of the dream to some extent! :)

2 comments:

Toriz said...

Definately progress; awesome! :)

Sarita Rucker said...

And I had success again last night! :) Unfortunately I woke up as soon as I took control, so I'll have to work on that.