Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Since my ADHD is giving me fits...

I'm having trouble focusing on homework (lovely ADHD) so I'm going to review some fascinating material that I just read in my psych book* (I may as well do something school related, right?) that I just read about sleep (even though reading new material might be more constructive). After all, it's slightly easier to focusing on writing than on reading. At least, sometimes.

Hey, I wonder if ADHD might be addressed in my psych book? That would be awesome.

Anyways...back on topic. :)

As I mentioned in my last post that I wrote not so very long ago I started giggling insanely when I got to the bit in my book about sleep disorders. Why? Because of my case of insomnia last night.

Something I found to be really amusing on the subject of insomnia was this: "The desire to sleep initiates an ironic process of mental control -- a heightened sensitivity to signs of sleeplessness -- and this sensitivity interferes with sleep. [. . .] The paradoxical solution for insomnia in some cases, then, may be to give up the pursuit of sleep and instead find something else to do" (195). Isn't that so strange? I guess that's why it's recommended for people with insomnia to not just continue lying there in bed, although I admit that that's precisely what I usually do. My bed is so comfy and once I'm in it I don't want to get up!

On the next page I came upon the subject of night terrors. The definition? It is "abrupt awakenings with panic and intense emotional arousal" (196). I was surprised. This happens to me sometimes, and often I sit up in bed gasping involuntarily when I wake up. Of course I've heard the phrase before, but I never made the connection between the two. They're usually related to nightmares, although my nightmares don't always result in waking up terrified. Sometimes I'm quite calm after waking up from a nightmare.

One topic which, to my disappointment, was not addressed, was seeing things upon waking up. Sometimes when I wake up I see things left over from my dreams which, once I get up or shine a light in their direction, disappear.

*My textbook: Second edition of Psychology by Daniel L. Schacter, Daniel T. Gilbert, and Daniel M. Wegner. Yes, all of their first names are Daniel.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wishing you a good night's sleep tonight!

Sarita Rucker said...

Well I did get a good seven hours of sleep...but I didn't actually get to sleep until 5am. I'm just glad I don't have to be anyplace today, because heading to work/school/whatever in the morning would not have been fun.

Toriz said...

What I usually do if I can't sleep is stick an audiobook on. Either I'll finally get sleepy enough to go to sleep, or enjoy a good book... Either works for me. ;)

Sarita Rucker said...

I generally listen to audio books at bedtime. I find it helps me sleep. It gives me something to focus on. :)

So when I've listened to an entire 70 minute CD from beginning to end...I know I'm having trouble sleeping.