Tuesday, October 18, 2011

This and that

I really should be job hunting right now, but I can't focus (that's becoming a theme lately, isn't it?) because I just got a call to set up a job interview tomorrow.

Wish me luck!!! I would be working for gay rights, which is something I feel strongly about, so I think I'm the sort of person they would want. :)

Now, on to a different topic, which may also be distracting me...

I haven't really talked about Samhain much this year. My Pagan followers already know all about Samhain, but my non-Pagan followers might not. Full details can come later, but for now I'll just say that it is one of the biggest Pagan holidays, and it is one of the two most important celebrations to me. And the date is October 31st.

Well guess what? October 31st is on a Monday this year, which is the day of my on campus class.

I'm really torn. On one hand I want to just focus on Samhain that day, but on the other hand I don't want to miss class.

My family thinks it's a no brainer that I should attend class on Samhain.

I would compare that to a Christian attending school on Christmas. I'm not saying that no Christian would attend school or go to work (many do work on Christmas) on December 25th, but my point is that most really wouldn't want to, and with good reason.

I e-mailed my professor about this, she said it's fine either way. Our school just requires I give a two week notice for missing class due to a religious holiday.

So, what do you think? Am I being unreasonable for seriously considering skipping school on Samhain?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your parents are highly intelligent and worth love and respect. That being said, they don't know everything. Coming from an atheist, it's best to follow your own true self and even I'd support a decision to follow a religious holiday for someone who believes in it. If you really feel strong about this, you'll disappoint yourself if you decide on school just because others might look down on it.

Also... school doesn't end because of a missed class... ;)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What the hell, it's one class. You can get someone's notes.

Best of luck tomorrow! I hope you get the job if you want it!

Toriz said...

First; hope the interview goes/went well!

Secondly, I'm with you 100%! It's a holiday, and I totally think it's a valid reason for not going to school. Only you can make the final decission though!

Judy said...

How will you be celebrating?? if you have lots planned, skip the class...if you're not doing much, go to class...

Madam Lost said...

Although I would instinctively attend class or meet with a new staff member for orientation that evening, I have to confess that I wasn't looking forward to Samhain without you. I think anonymous summed it up perfectly.

Sarita Rucker said...

Anonymous -- You're right, school doesn't end because of a missed class. Especially if the professor knows ahead of time and knows the reasons, which she does. :)

Debra -- Yes, I'll steal someone's notes. Bwahaha. Oh wait, I'm supposed to borrow, not steal them?

Toriz -- The job interview definitely went well. As you'll see in my most recent post.

Judy -- Generally I figure out exactly what I'll be doing on the day of Samhain.

Mom -- Yeah, I've told the professor I'm skipping class on Samhain.