Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Grrr...

"For example, all animals strive to stay alive, but only human beings realize that this striving is ultimately in vain and that death is life's inevitable end. We and we alone know that every breath we take brings us just a little bit closer to our own demise."

When I read the above in my psych text book (which I talked about in this post at my book blog) I couldn't contain myself. I am sick and tired of hearing about how humans are special, and now I'm seeing this in my awesome psych book?

Ok, so humans are so special? Let's be scientific about this then, and prove that non-human animals are unaware that life is a terminal condition. What's wrong, you can't prove it scientifically? Then stop being so high and mighty about it in the classroom, where what's taught is supposed to be based on scientific evidence, and shut up about animals being lesser beings than humans.

As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure that all humans are aware of their own mortality...

*sigh* Yes, this is a subject which is a point of irritation to me.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I'd say that most humans feel that they will live forever...until they don't of course...then they will just keep trying...life support ya know...so sad...

Saw an article recently about crows...they hold funerals for their fallen...interesting...

Toriz said...

I disagree with your book. Personally I think animals are higher beings than humans.

*They don't take stupid risks because they know it could be fatal to do so.
*They love unconditionally; even if they don't get the same in return.
*They only take what they need from the Earth; enough food and water to survive, somewhere warm to sleep... That's it.
*They stand by their fellows through thick and thin, regardless of their differences.

So when humans have - for the most part - lost sight of what it is to do those things, how can we claim to be higher beings?

Dark Mother said...

Wow, thanks for reminding me why I don't want to go back to school and how thankful I am that College is far in my past. Asshole know nothing pompous professors. Icks.

Sarita Rucker said...

Judy -- I didn't know that about crows, but I did know that elephants do something of the sort.

Toriz -- I disagree. I figure that we're equal, but that various species do have certain advantages over each other.

Dark Mother -- There is a lot of good stuff at school. The trick is to identify the strengths and weaknesses, roll your eyes at the weaknesses (and/or rant about them) while remembering that if you want full marks you have to be willing to put down things you disagree with (and which in this case cannot be scientifically proven) on tests/essays.

Toriz said...

Fair enough.