Friday, November 18, 2011

Psych homework

Monday evening I sat down to do my psych homework. I picked a topic, did my usual writing assignment...and then discovered when I logged onto the online class that the assignment had been something completely different.

I'm a little miffed, and I don't want my homework to have been for nothing so I'm sharing it here.

My text that I'm quoting, in case anyone is curious, is the second edition of Psychology by Schacter, Gilbert, and Wegner.

And yes, I have some pretty bizarre phobias.

~ ~ ~

Because of my own personal experience with anxiety I was already familiar with the topic, but I still learned some new things.

Anxiety is an unreasonable fear, and it comes in different forms.

  • Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) -- Chronic worry with “three or more of the following symptoms: restlessness, fatigue, concentration problems, irritability, muscle tension, and sleep disturbance” (559).
  • Phobic disorders -- Persistent fear and avoidance of certain circumstances, objects, etc. (One example of this is that if I am out kayaking and come across a log jutting up from the depths of the lake it terrifies and panics me. I’ve actually refused to kayak because of this stupid phobia.)
  • Specific phobia -- The only difference between this and phobic disorders seems to be that in this case it “interferes with an individual’s ability to function” (560). (I think an example of this would be when I almost couldn’t sleep, or even stay in bed, due to fearing that the house would burn down.)
  • Social phobia -- This phobia is when a person is afraid of appearing in public, or of being publicly embarrassed or humiliated.
  • Panic disorder -- This is when various symptoms come together which cause a person to feel “stark terror” (652).
  • Agoraphobia -- This often accompanies the panic disorder, and it is the fear of being in public places. People suffering agoraphobia are not necessarily afraid of the public location itself, but of having a panic attack there and being ridiculed or ignored.
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) -- OCD is when a person has obsessive thoughts which compel them to engage in unusual behaviors which “interfere significantly with an individual’s functioning” (563). This is in the anxiety section becasue attempting to ignore the obsessive thoughts, or trying to restrain oneself from acting on them, creates anxiety.
Anxiety definitely comes in many different forms.

Have you known someone who suffered from anxiety, or have you experienced it yourself? Based on the types of anxiety described in our textbook, which form of anxiety was it?

4 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Psych classes have always been a treat for me. I love to read about what goes on in people's minds. In truth, I kind of enjoy investigating about my own issues, too.

Sarita Rucker said...

This is my first psych class, though I have been getting into peoples minds through novels for ages. It's fun. :)

I also like reading more about my own issues, like anxiety. It gives me more insight into it, and it also shows me what other forms it comes in and how people cope. Though I won't get to the coping bit until next week.

Toriz said...

General anxiety quite often; I'm a born worrier, and often lose sleep over it.

Sarita Rucker said...

I can definitely relate to being a born worrier. However, I've been doing so much better after going on Prozac four years ago.

Yes, Prozac is generally used for depression, but it can also be used for anxiety. :)