Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Small world!

My friend The Belly Dancer returned home for a few days last weekend. She spent most of her energies on a belly dancing event and I didn't have much time to hang out with her (it didn't help that I suddenly realized on Friday that I had rather more homework than I'd thought... darned psych class) but I did get to spend some time with her, and that was great.

Gosh, I've missed her.

Belly Dancer's Body by Petr Kratochvil
I went to the belly dance event on Saturday to see her perform. I also brought along my boyfriend. Yeah, I brought my boyfriend to a place where women would be showing lots of skin and moving their hips (and other bits). Not that I regret dragging him along, it just seems funny in retrospect.

As to the small world portion of this post...

On Facebook I'm friends with a childhood friend who I've grown apart from and her mom, who I'll call Lauren, because that's the first name that popped into my head and I don't want to use her real name. Well, Lauren's status on Sunday said that she had been to a belly dance event with some friends, and that it was fun.

Imagine my surprise! Of course I asked about the location, and it turned out that Lauren and her friends had been to the same belly dancing event as me, and I just hadn't run into them. Except, I did. Lauren's cousin was a vendor there, she sold some lovely arm bracelets to The Belly Dancer, and I drooled over some porcupine hair sticks that she was selling. Lauren's cousin was on Facebook too and she commented to me "I see from your profile pic that you're friends with The Belly Dancer!" Yes, in my excitement over seeing The Belly Dancer again I found an old pic with both of us in it and am using that as my profile pic...and Lauren's cousin knows her.

So I went to a belly dancing event to see The Belly Dancer, and met the cousin of my childhood best friend's mom, who happens to know my good friend The Belly Dancer.

It's such a big world, and yet it's also so small.

3 comments:

Toriz said...

Cool; yes, it's a small world!

Judy said...

I bet you saw some good belly dancing also...

Sarita Rucker said...

Toriz -- Yep!

Judy -- Indeed I did. :)