Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Yep, they're spoiled

I got a new rat cage. It was a good deal too! I got it second hand for $16 (ok so mom actually got it as an early Christmas present for the girls), and if I'd gotten it straight from PetSmart or some other pet store it would have been at least $100. Sweet. Of course I covered it in bleach before ever letting the girls near it. I don't know where it's been before.

The rat cage in all its glory!

It has two proper levels and two platforms. When I showed pictures of it to my boyfriend he said something along the lines of "That's not a rat cage, it's a rat mansion!"

(He loves my rats, by the way, and they love him. ♥ )

And if you're wondering why some of the shelves of the book case in the above photo are mostly bare...that's the rats' doing. They like to push and/or knock things off. So I've (mostly) removed the breakable things, and they make a habit of shoving off the teddy bears and other squishy things that I've left on the shelves.

A paper towel stuck through the wires of the cage.

And they've pulled that paper towel through the wires!

I like to stick paper towels partway through the wires of their cage, and they love pulling those paper towels all the way through.

My kitty Kokopelle, checking out the new cage.

Kokopelle and Beka going nose to nose.

Kokopelle of course had to check out the new cage, but I was somewhat taken aback when Beka went nose to nose with him. She's either very brave or very foolish, and I'm not sure which.

On second thought I think I'd have to go with foolish because she also tried to grab at his fur through the wires of the cage. That's a good way for her to lose a paw, so I rearranged things in a way to discourage Kokopelle from sitting right next to the cage.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Pretty sweet digs, little ratties! Love the photo of Kokopelle and Beka!

~Haley~ said...

Nice! When we had our ratties, we built them a mansion, it had a big rat cage, then a secure tunnel over to a huge bird cage, they loved it! I've been convincing the boyfriend that we need more rats, so hopefully soon I'll have some too!
XoXo

Toriz said...

Sounds like rat paradise!

Silly rat trying to grab at the cat's fur though...