Saturday, December 24, 2011

2007

I've been reading my old diaries. Reading all of them will be a bit of a process because I've got about 22 diaries. Yes, so many that I'm not 100% sure exactly how many I have.

While reading I discovered that the year 2007 had quite a few milestones in it, and I wanted to share some of it here.

In no particular order...

My family moved. We left my childhood home that I had been in since first grade. I cried so much. We were officially completely moved in on Samhain. That was also when I visited ER for a concussion...but that's another story.

I turned 18. Enough said on that.

I got cloth sanitary pads. A big change for me. I'm still using the ones I bought, and since buying them I have 1) saved a lot of money since I'm not buying more sanity pads (yes that misspelling was intentional) every month, but I have also 2) avoided putting more plastic in the landfills. So it's cheaper and more earth friendly! :)

I had my first major experience with discrimination. There was this one college professor who did not like me. I don't know why. Her methods of discrimination were subtle enough that there was no point in reporting her (she once turned her back on me when I was in the middle of talking to her, and she did other little things like that) but nasty enough that I went home in tears twice. I've been frustrated and angry with other professors, but none of them sent me home in tears. It's only in the last year that I stopped shuddering when hearing her name, and that's because I got another professor (who I love!) with the same name. So now I actually have good memories attached to the name. :)

I started college. I started at Portland Community College in winter 2007.

I graduated 12th grade. I didn't actually write about this event in my diary.

I started volunteering. My brother had started at the beginning of the year, and I finally started in July. This is also when I learned to mend books.

I tried the medication Strattera. Of all the meds I have taken I take note of this one because it is the one that is having lingering effects. It worked really well on my ADHD, but it produced chest pains. My heart was checked out and everything was declared fine, but I sometimes still have chest pains these days. As of 2007, no one knew why Strattera caused chest pains in some people. Hmm, maybe I need to do some research to see if anything new has been learned about Strattera...

I lost two of my best friends. We grew apart, and despite my efforts I lost them. I'd lost best friends before (heck, I had one so called best friend stab me in the back) but I took it really hard, perhaps because I lost them both at the same time. I spent all of 2007 realizing and then accepting that I'd lost them. Actually, I didn't really accepted it until sometime in 2008, but I think I lost them in late 2006.

I declared myself a Pagan. I didn't write down the exact date that I realized I'm a Pagan, but I can remember it fairly clearly, and my first thought after I realized it was: "When did that happen??"

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like it was an eventful year. I'm glad you've got a new prof that erased the bad associations of the old prof's name.

Sarita Rucker said...

I haven't 100% erased the bad association, but it's mostly removed. And I'm also glad of it. :)

Toriz said...

Yes, that was definately a big year!