Monday, December 12, 2011

Lessons in life

A few years ago I signed up for an English class. (Ok, so this is situation normal for me...) Then on the first day of class...I changed my mind.

The professor was just too weird, and crazy, and I had absolutely no interest in taking an English class from him. So I switched to a different class.

Then Tall One found a professor at the same PCC campus who he absolutely loved, and who I loved hearing about. This was a professor who called William Faulkner's short story "A Rose for Emily" a "love story," and before the end of the term the body count (of fictional characters) was quite high. From everything I heard about this professor I thought that he was the type who Magaly, from Pagan Culture, would love. I even said that if I returned to PCC that I wanted to take a class from this guy.

A few months ago I was going through my old school stuff, and I found the syllabus from the professor whose English class I had dropped. And guess what?

When I took another look at that syllabus I discovered that the professor whose class I had dropped was the professor who Tall One loved.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is. Maybe it's that you shouldn't be too quick to judge professors. Or maybe it's that Tall One and I have vastly different tastes. Or maybe it's something else. In any case, I'd be willing to give that professor another chance if I ever return to PCC.

Has something like this ever happened to you?

5 comments:

Toriz said...

No. Although I did drop a writing class because I didn't like the teacher; most of the rest of the class dropped out too though. He'd had a book published, and he was one of those, "I'm better than you, because I'm published," people. I'd had a couple of poems published, but apparently - according to him - that doesn't count because, "anyone can write a poem; they aren't even real writing." The guy was a jerk; contradicted himself then accussed us of being liars when we pointed it out. Told me that basically every author I'd read was rubbish, and told me you can't use an unusual name in a book without giving a full description of where it comes from and what it means (and when I pointed out - with examples - that this was wrong, he turned away from me like a sulking child and refused to speak to me any more on the topic). After a bit I decided I'd had enough and walked out (making it perfectly clear on my way out that I thought he was a poor excuse for a teacher, and didn't like him much as a person either). My other writing teacher I still talk to from time to time; she's really nice, and even if she doesn't agree with youre opinions is at least willing to listen to them, which counts for a lot in my book.

Anyway, I think this is one of those, "don't judge a book by its cover," lessons for you there.

Sarita Rucker said...

I had a similar experience with a professor who said (among other things) that good poetry is written for adults and that children can't enjoy good poetry anyways. I quit the class after a week and a half and blogged about it: http://collegegirlsdays.blogspot.com/2009/01/poetry-class_14.html

And yeah, I think you're right that this was a lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

Toriz said...

Children can't enjoy poetry? LOL! Just goes to show that not all "experts" are in fact experts!

Sarita Rucker said...

I know. This guy also wrote poetry, and the only place he'd ever managed to get published was in the magazine that he himself edited. That was an interesting little tidbit to learn.

Madam Lost said...

The "perfect" professor for one student isn't necessarily "adequate" for a different student. As for this particular professor - I agreed with your decision to drop him and later developed an appreciation and respect for him and his style as your brother studied with him.