Monday, December 26, 2011

My Man

Christmas was yesterday, and solstice was five days ago. I mean to write about both of them, but I'll do that later. Right now I want to finally introduce someone who I am so lucky to have in my life: my boyfriend, who has requested to be called Murray on this blog.

We met in fall term 2010 at Marylhurst University. On the first day of class he sat next to me, and we typically sat together the rest of the term. Murray says that he fell in love with me then, but we never got together outside of class. And even though we swapped a few e-mails, we only saw each other once or twice on campus after that. Until fall term this year.

Imagine our surprise when we wound up in the same class again. I think we may have freaked out some of our classmates when he immediately asked me "So are you still part of the reformed church of Satan?" and I responded "Yep!" Hey, we're both Pagans and we like to have fun. :)

We took to sitting together in class again and became close friends pretty quickly. I guess you could say that we picked up where we left off the previous year. But this time, Murray decided to act on his feelings, even though he thought I was out of his league. In truth, thought that he was out of my league, and was surprised that he had any interest in befriending me. I was delighted, however, because I really liked him.

The first time we got together outside of school Murray took me to a seafood place, a bookstore (he knew to woo me with books!!!), then he took me to his place for a heavenly foot massage and movies.

That evening he also told me that he loved me. I was flattered, but didn't really know how to respond at first. I finally told him that although I really liked him, I couldn't see us becoming romantically involved.

Later that week I asked him to be my boyfriend. lol! What a quick turnaround on my part! I almost didn't ask him though, because I was afraid of breaking his heart by having another quick turnaround in my feelings towards him.

However, as of today I have been his girlfriend for two months, and I haven't broken his heart yet. So far so good.

He graduated this term, by the way. His family gave him a bit of money as a graduation present to spend on something nice. So what did he do? He went off shopping for a gun this morning, and took me with him.

After having served as law enforcement in the USA and as infantry in both Germany and Iraq (he came back from Iraq in 2007), he likes his guns. He gets enthusiastic when telling me about the guns he has and how they work (something tells me that I am going to learn a lot about guns...not that I'm complaining), and the look on his face was absolute bliss when we walked out of the gun store with his new purchase. I think that new gun may be a rival of mine for his attentions! lol

After that Murray took me to a bookstore...but I'll write about that in my Christmas post. :)

I am so lucky to have Murray. He's fun, he's geeky, he has introduced me to the early horror movies, he's a writer, and...and I don't know how to describe him. He's just a really great guy, and I am oh so lucky. ♥

Random fun fact that the boyfriend didn't know before picking Murray as his nickname: Murray is also the name of a teddy bear mom gave me when I was a preteen, and which I have slept with almost every night of my life since then.

My teddy bear Murray listening to music on my old iPhone

EDIT: The teddy bear was originally mom's, and she pointed out to me after seeing this post that he was named Maurie. Well, um, I changed that name to Murray years ago. Sorry mom!

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wishing you and Murray much happiness together! How great that you're both pagans!

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah, it's nice dating another Pagan. Not that I have any dating experience with non-Pagans to compare him to or would object to the idea of dating someone who isn't Pagan. But it's nice that we celebrate the same holidays and have (some of) the same beliefs. :)

Sarita Rucker said...

NOTE: The teddy bear was originally mom's, and she pointed out to me after seeing this post that he was named Maurie. Well, um, I changed that name to Murray years ago. Sorry mom!

Toriz said...

Wishing you and Murray much happiness; I'm glad you found each other, and hope you have a long and happy relationship... Sounds like you go together well! :))

Cute about the bear!

Sarita Rucker said...

I also thought it was cute that he chose my teddy bear's name. <3