Friday, February 10, 2012

An (alleged) deranged coyote

In the last week I've started hearing strange animal noises outside my home. It usually sounds like a dog attempting (and failing) to mimic a cat. I heard the same sounds about this time last year, and I'm pretty sure that it's a coyote we're hearing. I generally think it's pretty neat to hear it/them, but I was unamused last night.

After staying home sick yesterday I needed my sleep. (Mom: no need to point out that I got to bed at midnight and would leave for work the following day -- today -- at 7:30am. I know my bedtime ought to be earlier.) So I was not pleased to realize that I had insomnia. I was getting tired of not being too tired, and even wondered if I should just give up and do something productive with my time. Like writing in my book blog.

At 3am I did finally get to sleep, only to be woken up minutes later by a deranged coyote making sounds like it was being tortured. The deranged canine sounded like it must have been right outside, although I didn't see it when I looked.

So imagine: you've finally gotten to sleep after lying in bed for hours, and then are jolted awake by something that sounds like it's dying, or would prefer to be dying. Due to the timing I'm pretty sure that someone "up there" was playing with me, yet I somehow managed to be unamused at the time.

(I would like to note that I know it was just minutes after I'd fallen asleep because I was listening to an audio book, and I can tell you exactly where I drifted off and where I was woken up. There is maybe three minutes difference between the two locations.)

I still want to know what induced the animal to make that sort of sound. It didn't sound like a fight...I've heard animal fights before, and I know what they sound like: they're generally two sided. This wasn't. I know coyote mating season occurs about now, however, so I wonder if it could have been the coyote version of talking dirty? I've heard that some animals make the most horrible sounds when mating or in heat... In any event, dad had told me about hearing a similar sound (presumably from a coyote) in the last week, so I guess they're fond of sounding like poor tortured souls on occasion.

Amazingly, considering the night I had, I didn't feel too bad when I went to work today. I was even wide awake after I had my coffee.

I just hope that the deranged coyote doesn't pay me another visit tonight. One rude awakening like that will last me quite a while.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Keep your cats indoors! That coyote's probably looking for a good meal.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Debra is right, keep an eye on your fur babies!

Sarita Rucker said...

We keep our cats indoors always. Not all of our neighbors do, however. :(