Thursday, March 15, 2012

Joining the discussion

So, I'm joining the conversation about whether women should be allowed access to birth control. In particular, the pill.

Ignoring the argument about whether preventing a pregnancy is ethical...the pill is used for birth control, but it also has other uses. As a teen I used it for acne. (It worked wonders too! It removed a pair of impressive miniature mountain ranges from my cheeks.) I know another woman else who used it to prevent hormonally induced migraines which plagued her every month.

I'm sure that I've known many other women who have used the pill for non-contraceptive purposes, but that I just never knew because I never discussed it with them. Hey, how often do you wander up to a person and ask "So, what meds are you taking and what are they for?" But I do know that it can be used to regulate crazy menstrual cycles and heavy periods.

Why remove a medication that has such excellent uses, of which contraception is just one of the things it's good for? If you really want to ban it, then let's also ban alcohol! After all, some studies have shown that even a couple drinks can cause miscarriage...and therefore might be used to intentionally get rid of a baby. Oh, wait, but that's getting into the argument about abortion, isn't it?

...

I'll try to return to blogging regularly, and on non-political topics, soon. I try to avoid politics on here but got irritated enough that I had to share my own comments.

By the way, you should have seen some of the reactions I got as a teen when I was complimented on my improved complexion and asked "What have you done to clear up your acne?" One woman in particular was quite horrified to hear that I was on the pill, and her face at the moment of comprehension is a fond memory of mine.

7 comments:

Toriz said...

I used the pill to help regulate my cycle when I was in my teens. And, as a point, it doesn't always work as a contraceptive anyway; I'm living proof of that.

I wish people would stop trying to regulate what everyone does. I thought we were supposed to have freedom of speach and choice, but I'm not seeing much of that these days.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Why do people get so worked up about this topic? Come into the 21st century, for Gawd's sake.

Sarita Rucker said...

Toriz -- The only thing that works 100% is abstinence, and I hear that even that doesn't always work when hormones get involved.

And we were only ever guaranteed freedom of speech, not freedom of choice.

Debra -- I think that some people don't live in the 21st century.

Toriz said...

True, we weren't guaranteed it, but I was under the impression we were meant to have freedom of choice. Guess I was mistaken? *Shrugs*

Sarita Rucker said...

I think we were meant to have freedom of choice within certain limitations as set down by law. Which ideally only limits us if we're the bad guys, but it doesn't always work out that way. I guess because some people have different ideas of what should qualify someone as a bad guy.

Kaitlin Hogan said...

I actually was just put on it because of my high risk of ovarian cancer. I think for the right reasons it is good!

Sarita Rucker said...

I didn't know it could be used for that. Live and learn!