Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Moving and the pets

So, which pets are coming with me...

Kokopelle

He's coming.

Beka and Sabine

When I got these two I fully intended to bring them with me when I moved. Unfortunately, I was suffering under the delusion that I would be able to find a place that would have neither of the following rules:

1) No rats, and/or
2) No more than two pets.

One cat plus two rats would equal three pets, and there's no way to get around the rule of no more than two pets. Either way, I can't bring them. Well, unless I smuggle them in, which a coworker suggested. Call me goody-two-shoes, but I'd rather not go breaking rules like that.

When I got the girls I signed a contract stating that I would give the breeder the option of taking them back if I found myself unable to keep them. I regretfully told her about my circumstances, and suggested that my mom could keep them. To my intense relief, the breeder agreed to that solution.

I won't be able to see Beka and Sabine daily, but at least I'll still see them when I visit home.

Socks

Technically mine, but he's not especially attached to me. He's a geriatric cat and the last time we moved he wound up catatonic, and I'd rather not put him through that again. Mom and I talked about it a few years ago, and we agreed that he'd stay behind when I move out.

This is probably a good thing, because Kokopelle has taken to tormenting poor Socks.

Saphira

Dad's cat. No more need be said.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're lucky to be able to take one pet -- I found that having a cat cut down available apartments by half. Many places don't allow pets at all. And you are so wise not to try to sneak in forbidden pets -- if discovered, the landlord can evict you for it.

Toriz said...

At least you can take Kokopelle (cool name by the way). And at least you can see the others when you visit your parents.

I wouldn't risk sneaking the rats in either; it's not worth what could happen if you got caught.

Tori said...

Just happened across your blog - love it! Totally understand the frustration involving moving and pets, hang in there! xo Tori

Toriz said...

Hey, there's another me! LOL!