Saturday, May 26, 2012

Beauty in thunderstorms

"The wild elements were slow to abate, but as the day passed, they wandered elsewhere. Once again the sky was revealed, and the setting sun glowed with brilliance. As beams of light tinted the clouds with blazing colors, everything gained a sharp contrast: brightly lit on one side, deeply shadowed on the other. Objects had a unique sense of mass; grass stalks seemed sturdy as marble pillars. Ordinary things took on an unearthly beauty; Eragon felt as if he were sitting inside a painting."

The above paragraph is from Eragon by Christopher Paolini, and it's what I thought of during two rare thunderstorms last evening and again this evening. Except, I thought that things took on an "unearthly beauty" during the storm, not just after. More green and vibrant.

What do you think? Is the world more beautiful during a storm? After? Or not at all?

1 comment:

Toriz said...

You may be interested to know that this question is actually more difficult for me than the one about the definition of Maths!

Hmmm...

On the one hand, it's more beautiful during the storm; there's an energy in the air that makes even inanimate objects seem to come alive.

On the other hand, it's more beautiful afterwards; there's a freshness to the world which only a storm can bring, and which makes you feel like everything is brand new and magical.

At least, that's how it seems to me.

So, I really don't think I can decide when it's more beautiful. All I can be sure of is that I can rule out "not at all" since I have no doubt in my mind that storms do make things seem more beautiful than they were. I just can't decide if it's more noticeable during or after the storm.